I CAN HARDLY CALL THIS A “RECIPE”, IT’S JUST THROWING TOGETHER A FEW INGREDIENTS. HOWEVER, YOU CAN MAKE IT MORE ELABORATE BASED ON WHAT YOU HAVE ON HAND (SEE BELOW). MOREOVER, SHARING KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ACCESSIBLE EVERYDAY COOKING IS IMPORTANT.
THIS, FOR EXAMPLE, IS EXTREMELY AFFORDABLE—FOUR OR FIVE SERVINGS FOR A FEW DOLLARS—AND KEEPS WELL, SO IT’S IDEAL TO TAKE FOR LUNCH. NOT TO MENTION: MEGA HEALTHY. -JRS
– 1 package roasted beets, sliced (about 5 beets)
– 1 or 2 big handfuls of greens (I used mache; you could use arugula, salad greens, etc.)
– 1 apple, sliced
– 1 handful of pecans, crushed a little (or whatever nuts you like)
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
– Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and season well with salt and pepper (see my post on seasoning with salt here). Add the olive oil, mix to coat. Add the vinegar and toss. Taste and add more salt or vinegar as necessary.
If it tastes bland, it probably needs more salt. If you feel you’ve added too much oil, toss in some more greens.
Some other things you could add, depending on what you have: raisins, honey, green onion, red onion, almonds, whole-grain mustard, roasted carrots …